There are three common blends of unflavored yerba mate that one can buy: Traditional, Smooth, and Leaf-Style.
Traditional Blend: 12% Yerba Mate stems (also called "Con Palos"):
- Stems reduce bitterness
- Easy to prepare and use, as the stems protect the bombilla from clogging.
- Is available in many different flavors like orange, lemon, and grapefruit.
Smooth Blend: 20% Yerba Mate stems (also called "Suave"):
- Is easiest to prepare and use, as the large stem content protect the bombilla from clogging.
- Large stem content further reduces bitterness
- Is available in many different flavors like other blends.
- Best for YerbaCup, which is considered the easiest way to drink yerba mate.
Leaf-Style: less than 1% stems (also called "Sin Palos" or "Despalada"):
- Leaves contain the most nutrients.
- Stronger flavor
- Produces more compression around the bombilla, allowing for better nutrient extraction.
Check out our buying guide if you still have questions.
Of course, we also have a huge selection of flavored yerba mate and the most popular weight loss blend.