The Mate Cocido (Teabag) Method
Mate Cocido follows the opposite principle of the Traditional Method: instead of using as little water as possible to extract the most nutrients, one uses a lot of water to extract the least amount of nutrients. Mate Cocido is 3 grams of Mate (saquitos) steeped in 8-12 ounces of water.
- Easiest preparation
- Available as little tea bags.
- Does not require you to develop a relationship with a gourd.
- Can use juice.
- Boiling water extracts stimulant
- Incomparable to the Traditional and Terere Methods in terms of nutrient concentration (compare 50 grams in a gourd to only 3 grams in a teabag)
- Dilution in water, along with no suction from gourd compression, creates a much less nutrient rich drink than all other methods
- Boiling water "burns" some nutrients
- Add 3 grams of yerba mate into mug.
- One can use a tea bag or tea scoop/ball.
- Pour 8-12 ounces of water (hot or cold) or juice onto tea.
- If using boiling water, steep 2-3 minutes then remove bag.
- If using juice or cold water, no reason to remove tea bag.